From Autumn 2013, it is our intention to list and detail all civic, parish and church memorials within Chorley and the villages in the Borough.
Each memorial will be listed separately giving the names of the men on it by conflict (i.e. WW2 & WW1) and in an A to Z format.
Further / detailed information (if available) will then be placed in an A to Z listing under the respective memorial page; we hope to include photographs, if available.
If you have details of any war memorial in a church or village in Chorley, do get in touch.
We currently have listings on Excel spread-sheet format of the following memorials (all of which will be placed on this page shortly):
- Abbey Village
- Bretherton [pictured above]
- Brindle Parish Church (St. James’)
- Brindle St. Joseph’s RC Church
- Chorley Co-operative Society (WW1)
- Chorley Grammar School (plaque on the wall at Parklands High School)
- Chorley Pals Memorial
- Chorley WW1 Memorial Books (held in Astley Hall)
- Clayton-le-Woods & Whittle-le-Woods
- Heapey & Wheelton
- Hoghton Parish Church (Holy Trinity)
- St. Bede’s RC Church, Clayton Green
- Withnell Fold Paper Mill
If you have or can supply details of a church or village war memorial not listed above, do get in touch. Also, please make contact if you have memorial books, records and / or photographs of men on any war memorial in Chorley and the surrounding villages covered by our project.